Middlesex University is a leading public research university based in Middlesex, with over 16,000 undergraduates and support staff. They chose to partner with San-iT to create a cyber secure network for a team of 10 researchers.
The network would need to sit completely outside of the current university IT framework, support remote working and adhere to the Cyber Essentials framework. The environment also needed to be simple, centrally managed, scalable and would need to fit within the scope of Academic A5 licenses on Microsoft 365.
Additionally, the project needed to be turned around in under 2 weeks – a very short timescale for a large project, so a market-ready solution that could be deployed quickly was an important consideration.
The strategic solution
After internal discussions consultation and proof-of-concept testing with our partners TechData, we were able to provide:
- A dedicated and secure Microsoft 365 desktop environment built on Microsoft Azure that operated outside of the university’s current IT infrastructure.
- The Microsoft Azure active directory synchronised domain controller was able to provide a secure desktop environment that supported workloads in the cloud, and synchronised user identities.
- Alongside the desktop environment, Microsoft 365 InTune and AutoPilot provided the centralised configuration, patching and deployment alongside a Cyber Essentials agent to ensure governance and oversight on the whole process.
- In addition to this, San iT also provided onboarding support and training on the new areas, as well as ongoing support.
The client was pleased with the quick turnaround, as the project was delivered ahead of time and budget. The university and the researchers now have:
- Microsoft 365 desktop environments that are fully secure and separate from university systems and communication.
- The environment is scalable, and the university IT team do not need to worry about additional researchers being added to the environment.
- San-iT are also handling the ongoing and immediate support for all desktop users by telephone and email.
I am delighted with San-iT’s speed and level of response in enabling my team to get up and running extremely quickly. Any queries we raised as we got to grips with a new system were addressed fully and promptly.Lian Lundy Middlesex University